03 Feb Property Damage After An Auto Accident? 7 Things You Should Know
It is inevitable that after an auto accident occurs, your vehicle is going to have damage. With that, there are a couple things you should keep in mind when it comes to your property damage and getting your vehicle fixed.
1. You can choose the auto repair shop. The insurance company is going to tell you take the vehicle to one shop or another. However, remember that you have the right to choose who you want to fix your vehicle. So, if you have someone that knows your vehicle well or you want it to be fixed by the dealership, you have that choice.
2. The at-fault party only is required to have $10,000.00 in property damage insurance coverage. Since there is only a requirement of $10,000.00 of property damage coverage for the at-fault insurance to fix your vehicle, I would highly suggest that you purchase collision insurance to cover the delta. Especially since those monies have to be used to fix any other property damage including medians, street signs, and other vehicles if more than just yours is involved.
3. Purchase GAP insurance. New vehicles typically lose thousands the moment they are driven off the lot. Therefore, it is up you to protect yourself and purchase GAP. Why? If your vehicle is valued at $20,000.00 and the at-fault party only has $10,000.00 in coverage, if you do not have GAP insurance, you would be responsible for the other $10,000.00 out of YOUR pocket.
4. If your vehicle is not fixed right the first time, take it back, immediately. If your vehicle is not fixed right the first time, take it back and the auto body shop will send the insurance company what is called a supplement in order to get that additional property damage fixed.
5. A rental car is not always included. Often times, you need a rental car to get around and to get to work after an accident. That is optional coverage that the at-fault party may have not purchased. Therefore, you should add it to your policy so you do not have to pay out of pocket or so you do not have to pay for Uber or Lyft.
6. Take pictures of BOTH vehicles at the scene. Pictures are worth a 1000 thousand words. Make sure you take pictures of BOTH vehicles at the scene. Just because your vehicle may have been able to take the impact does not mean the other vehicle could. So, when the insurance companies tries to argue the impact was “low” because there was not much damage to your car, your attorney can show them the photos of the other vehicle to prove otherwise.
7. Always have the bumper removed. Just because your bumper does not show much damage does not mean there is not internal damage or frame damage. Always have the bumper removed to check for that internal damage and frame damage.
Need Assistance with Property Damage? Call Me!
If you have any questions about property damage coverage, getting your vehicle fixed, or assistance with property damage, I am here for you. I understand that the process after an incident can be difficult and stressful. You probably have a lot of questions and very few answers. Allow me to be there for you every step of the way. I offer a FREE no-obligation consultation and will review your claim with you personally at one of the office locations in Tampa, Zephyrhills, or Saint Petersburg. Cannot make it to me? I will come to wherever is convenient to you at NO charge. You deserve to be compensated and I want to get justice for you!
CONTACT ATTORNEY KEVIN L. SULLIVAN II TODAY AT (813) 598-4868 FOR A FREE NO-OBLIGATION CONSULTATION. I LOOK FORWARD TO ASSISTING YOU WITH YOUR CLAIM!
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.