20 Jan Tampa Bay Area Scooter Accidents: What You Need To Know
Electric scooters have become a staple in local travel throughout the Tampa Bay Area including Tampa, Saint Petersburg, Clearwater and other major hubs. Cheap, easy and convenient to use, electric scooters from providers like Lime and Byrd make walking much less enticing. However, with electric scooters being a relatively new mode of transportation in the Tampa Bay Area, drivers and others sharing the road have had issue embracing the new technology. With that, scooter accidents have occurred.
How Do Electric Scooters Work?
Companies like Lime, Byrd, Uber, Lyft and Spin offer electric scooters to rent throughout the Tampa Bay Area for a small fee through their app. Much like ride sharing, you download the electric scooter app, pay the fee, and then ride the scooter wherever you need to go. The scooters are made for one rider at a time and typically go up to 15 miles per hour.
Are Electric Scooters Dangerous?
That is a question up for interpretation. Forbes recently published an article that stated: “Almost 3,300 patients were admitted to US hospitals with scooter-related injuries between 2014 and 2018, a 365 percent increase. Total scooter injuries in that same time period totaled over 39,000, a 222 percent jump.” Although it may seem like a good time and a convenient mode of transportation, be sure to be vigilant and careful as scooter related accidents are on the rise.
Scooter Accident Tips
If you are in a scooter accident, here are a few tips to consider:
1. Seek medical attention. It is important to seek medical attention immediately to make sure that you are not in any serious danger when it comes to your health.
2. Take photos. Take photos of anything you find relevant including the scene, the scooter, the other vehicle(s) or car(s) involved, the other driver’s information including their ID and insurance card, the crash report or information exchange, and any bumps, bruises, or scraps you may have suffered from.
3. Call the police. Make sure you call the local authorities and make a report, that may come in need should there be any dispute with liability.
4. Contact a qualified and experienced scooter accident attorney. It is important to have someone in your corner to make sure your rights are preserved and you receive the compensation you deserve.
Common Scooter Accident Injuries
Sadly, based on a recent study, USATODAY stated that: “Electric scooter injuries have surged along with their popularity in the United States, nearly tripling over four years…” Some scooter accident injuries include but are not limited to:
– Head Injuries – concussions, traumatic brain injuries
– Neck Injuries – bulges, herniations, ligament injuries, whiplash
– Back Injuries – bulges, herniations, strain
– Shoulder Injuries – sprains, strains, and muscle tears
– Knee Injuries – sprains, strains, and muscle tears
– Broken Bones and Fractures
– Lacerations, Cuts & Bruises
– Internal Injuries
– Wrongful Death
As stated above, should you be involved in a scooter accident, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. Sometimes scooter accident injuries do not appear right away, and you could cause more damage should you unintentionally overexert yourself. Your health is important, make sure that you are checked out by a professional.
Experienced Tampa Bay Area Scooter Accident Attorney
I understand that the process after getting into a scooter accident in Florida can be difficult and stressful. You probably have a lot of questions and very few answers. Allow me to be there for you every step of the way. I offer a FREE no-obligation consultation and will review your accident claim with you personally at one of the office locations in Tampa, Zephyrhills, Saint Petersburg, Brandon or Clearwater. Cannot make it to me? I will come to wherever is convenient to you at NO charge. You deserve to be compensated and I want to get justice for you!
Contact Scooter Accident Attorney Kevin L. Sullivan II TODAY at (813) 598-4868 for a FREE no-obligation consultation. I look forward to assisting you with your claim!